Wednesday, July 04, 2007

eeeeenteresting



This week marks the tenth anniversary of the release of OK Computer. I feel like I should have something to say about that. I just listened to it on Monday and I feel like it's as good and or better than it was ten years ago. And more true, somehow, than anything Radiohead has done since, even though I love Kid A.

Also of noteworthy note, this month MxPx will release a new album for Tooth and Nail records (a label they left eleven years ago), which, I think, represents nothing less than a retreat and surrender compared to the late '90s-early '00s "crossover"movement in Christian rock. I think I'll write more about this, but it puts MxPx in a strange cultural position at a time when most bands of their ilk would never dream of signing with T&N. Look for some further exploration of this later. But what do you think: Why would MxPx come crawling back to Tooth and Nail now?

2 comments:

this little sonic iceberg said...

eeeenteresting, indeed. i wanna hear more about your thoughts on mxpx.

Joel said...

I still remember the first time I ever met you, the only band I could think of to tell you I was into was MxPx! I was so embarrassed. I had an MxPx poster in my dorm room. Then again, you loved Dave Matthews Band.