Monday, August 21, 2006

God and Guitars



I don't want to be too melodramatic about this, but it's finally happened: my essay about Seven Day Jesus, started over two years ago, edited down from its original (and confusingly quaquaverse) almost 3000 words, has been published today by Killing the Buddha, an online literary journal devoted to religion.

This piece means a lot to me. It was started after I wrote an essay for Image and I interviewed Brian McSweeney. I didn't use his quotes in the Image piece, but the things he said about leaving Christian music (and maybe even "the faith" full stop) stuck with me. (Oh, by the way, those quote also didn't make the final cut of this piece, either.)

The first Seven Day Jesus record was huge for me and I'm delighted I got the chance to write about it. Huge thanks to Laurel Synder, who first encouraged me to submit this piece, and Peter Manseau, who published it. Their editorial guidance was more than invaluable. And thanks should go, too, to the people who made the music.


You can still buy the album, it seems. (According to Froogle.)

PS: The unnamed lyric that was screamed at the end of the piece is from "Forgive You," and is this: "rape my soul!"

1 comment:

andrew said...

i really liked it. thanks for sharing. two years is a long time to agonize over a piece, and it looks like you lost a lot of words during that time.

i read your blog posting before the article and i was thinking, 'good, it sounds like it must be a short one; i have stuff to do.' but then, when i started reading it, i wanted more--not necessarily more substance, just a chance to get in your head a bit more and learn a something more about this john donnesque band (e.g., batter my heart, three person'd God...I never shall be free...except you ravish me), seven day jesus. this reminded me of a wayyyyyyyy shorter version of that article in esquire? george? crap i can't remember...the one where the guy visits Creationfest...arggh....nevermind.